It is practically guaranteed that almost every individual you know possesses a smartphone. With such a handy device within grasp, there is little need to rely on computers or tablets–especially when you’re on the go. Smartphones are in!
What is the #1 reason to optimize your blog for mobile phones?
An increasing amount of mobile web users.
When out and about, chances are you will notice many people who own a smartphone, even little children! As stated by GO-Gulf (2012), out of the 5 billion mobile phones in the world, 1.08 billion are smartphones and 91.4 million of those smartphones are in the United States. There is no doubt the number will continue to multiply in the advancing years. A January 2012 study found “more consumers in the US, UK, Germany, France, and Japan use a mobile phone (feature phone or smart phone) than a computer (desktop or laptop)” (2012).
Now the big question is: how do you optimize your blog for mobile viewing? On WordPress.com and Blogger, it’s easier than you might think!
How to Mobilize your Blog:
1) Under your dashboard, select “Appearance” and click on “Mobile.”
2) Mobile Options page will open and ask for the options you wish to have for your mobile theme.
3) Once you have chosen your desired options, click on “Update” below.
1) On your Blogger dashboard, under your preferred blog (if you have more than one), put your mouse over the notepad icon and wait for a drop down menu to appear. Click on “Template.”
3) A pop-up window will then open, asking you to choose a mobile template. Once you have decided, click “Save” and you will be all set.
For self-hosted WordPress blogs, things get a bit trickier. Watch this blog for a future post on making your self-hosted WordPress mobile-friendly!
Meanwhile, let us know in the comments. Is your blog optimized for mobile? How did you do it? When you’re surfing the Web on your phone, do you prefer the Web version or the mobile version?
Leverich, N. (2012, January 25). New research: Global surge in smartphone usage, UK sees biggest jump with 15% increase. [Blog Post]. Retrieved from http://googlemobileads.blogspot.com/2012/01/new-research-global-surge-in-smartphone.html
GO-Gulf. (2012, January 2). Smartphone users around the world – Statistics and Facts [Infographic]. [Blog Post]. Retrieved from http://www.go-gulf.com/blog/smartphone/
This post has been reviewed by Chloé Watts, our in-house tech guru.
Have a question for Chloé? Use the ask chloédigital contact form.