SEO – This is not just a term that belongs in the world of big business bloggers and companies. Anyone, entertaining a website of some sort will come across the importance of those small letters that can make your blog big!
Search engine optimization decides how your site is found and positioned on the internet. If you want to be found and increase your ranking on Google for example, there are a few steps you should consider taking!
Cover your basics!
Your website is being ranked and positioned by search engines. If someone is searching for a certain term on the internet say “makeup look”, then these search engines will list all the sites it can find related to “makeup looks”. Important for you is to be ranked high enough to be even considered by readers to click on your link. If there are 100 others before you in line, good luck finding new readers that way. So what to do?
Basically, you can consider these 3 stepping stones as your base for good SEO efforts:
Content - The most important thing on your site should be content! The quality of your text, images, links, everything you put into your site is being evaluated and ranked! Good high quality content will always be something that not only search engines but also your followers will be thankful for!
Authority – Having good connections sure won´t hurt with this one.
Search engines rank your site by the amount of content that is being linked back to or from your site and that ultimately demonstrates authority! But not just any sites:
Example: If you have a fashion blog and Vogue, Instyle and Lucky Magazine are linking back to your site that shows search engines you have authority. If in the same case instead of Vogue and co., a less accredited website is linking back to your site, not so much!
The better your authority, the higher you will be ranked!
Performance and user experience – Does your blog work efficiently? Is it fast in loading time and easy to navigate? Is every site still working properly? Do you know how much time people are spending on average on your site? What is your average bounce rate?
The lower your bounce rate, the more people are enjoying your site and clearly its working efficiently enough to demonstrate search engines, it´s safe to rank it high!
The next step: Keywords!
Keywords aren´t just keywords! Consider this: Use Google Analytics to research what kind of keywords are being used that lead back to your site! Is it “makeup looks” or more something like “xyz brush” “velvet texture”? Once you know what your significant keywords are, you can start building around them! If it´s one big topic, post several smaller once that go into detail. You will notice with those specific keywords you can build your authority on a certain topic and search engines will rank you high when someone searches for that topic.
- If you want to find out what most used keywords are in general, go to Google Adwords Keyword Tool. That way you know what words to use when phrasing a new topic!
- Besides the title, take a closer look at your HTML! Everything tagged as an <H1> (as in Heading) is given priority when it comes to search engines and will be ranked most important! Try to post those keywords in there.
- Don´t stop with the keywords in your headline! The headline is important as it is what is screened first and ranked as most important by search engines. Keywords however, used on your social media platforms also play a significant role. Twitter, Facebook and co. are all part of the game, so include the same phrasing and not only search engines but also your followers will learn to connect you with those keywords.
- If you are using WordPress consider yourself lucky! Plugins like “All in One SEO Pack” or WordPress SEO by Yoast can do all the hard work for you!
- Finally, a very easy to follow SEO booster: Rename you images! It´s that easy! Search engines won´t find you via IMG_345.jpg but certainly as redstilettosforfree.jpg! It will drive traffic to your blog and you get a booster for using keywords!
There are many more ways to achieve better ranking and to improve SEO. But don´t you worry, as this is just an essential guide, we will inform you with more detailed tips and tricks!
What do you do for your SEO efforts? Do you pay attention to SEO at all?
Have you heard about the iFabbo Social Media Conference? Join us in San Francisco on October 12th, 2013, for an exclusive one-of-a-kind experience. Click here for more details!