Blog: Lush Fab Glam
Facebook: Everything Lush Fab Glam
1. What is your blog about? Lush-Fab-Glam.com was created to be the-go-to site for women who love Everything Luscious, Fabulous and Glamorous in fashion, beauty and lifestyle. Our main goal is keeping our readers enticed, enchanted and anticipating more. We have taken a unique approach, providing our readers with our artistic perspective on only the best of current events stories, innovative ideas and cutting-edge fashion, beauty and lifestyle tips. If we don’t love it and our readers won’t think it’s spectacular, then we don’t blog about it! That’s the Lush Fab Glam way.
2. When did you start blogging? I started my first blog Lushfabglam.com in February 2010 then took a brief hiatus and came back as a full time blogger in September 2012 using the new URL Lush-Fab-Glam.com.
3. What do you like about blogging? I love writing, and blogging is a great way to enjoy writing as a hobby. It allows me to reach new audiences and share my ideas and the things that I find ‘Luscious, Fabulous and Glamorous’ with fashionistas and beautistas around the world.
4. Why did you decide to start a blog? I found myself navigating through so many different sites to be entertained, inspired and find new ideas on things to try or do. By the time I was done, my bookmarks page was overcrowded and I was too exhausted to remember the names of the websites, or try the things that I had seen. So I decided to create a website that had the personal and inviting approach of a blog but the class and style of an online magazine. Most importantly, it would have to be a one-stop access to all the things that interest me, my girlfriends and other women. That means not focusing on only one aspect of fashion, but showcasing the best of fashion in all its forms. The same concept applies to beauty and lifestyle.
On Lush-Fab-Glam.com there is something for every woman, from the teen coming into her own, to the college girl getting ready to face the real world, to the professional woman working on her career and the bride-to-be in search of beautiful ideas for her wedding or home décor. To the working or stay-at-home stylish mom and the jet setting fashionista who wants to explore the world. We are all unique and I wanted the content on Lush-Fab-Glam.com to capture that, rather than trying to fit every woman into the same industry designed box.
The Lush Fab Glam woman loves fashion and beauty but understands that timeless fashion and real beauty is more than just a fad or fleeting trend. She lives a well-rounded lifestyle and uses her fashion and beauty products to reflect and enhance not overshadow her personality.
5. How did you choose your blog’s title? Lush Fab Glam means ‘Everything Luscious, Fabulous & Glamorous’. I wanted the title to reflect the content of the blog, and to be catchy and unique but also reflect class, sass and intelligence. That is the type of audience/readers that I aim for.
6. Which blogging platform do you use? Why? I use Blogger. I like that they have a great community of both successful and start-up bloggers that are genuinely interested in reaching out to and supporting each other.
7. What is the biggest challenge when it comes to blogging? The first few months of blogging can be challenging because you are creating amazing content, but the readership is so small that it feels like you’re just wasting time. The thought that ‘maybe it’s time to stop blogging’ crosses your mind so many times. Overcoming those moments of doubt, continuing to publish regular blog posts and making an effort to learn new ways to become better at it is essential to blogging success.
8. Do you monetize your blog? Yes, absolutely! I did not begin with the intention to monetize my blog I was simply having fun with it. In fact it wasn’t until last year when I re-branded and changed my site URL that I took blog monetization seriously, and I am glad I did! Aside from the basics, like adsense, I also use affiliate networks like Linkshare and Commission Junction.
In 2013 the majority of my ad revenue came from advertiser’s who initiated contact with me. This taught me that advertisers are out there and they are looking for great blogs to work with, you just have to market your blog so that they can find it.
9. What are your biggest blogging achievements? After a brief hiatus that saw my site stats drop significantly and losing my first blog URL because I did not renew in time, I had to start blogging again in September 2012 using a new URL that had no search engine history or search engine ranking. Since starting over with the new blog URL, my site visits, social media following and reader engagement has grown significantly. It’s something that I never predicted but that I am very excited about.
10. What is the worst blogging mistake you ever made? It would definitely be taking a hiatus from blogging in 2012. My blog had 80,000 + page views per month back then. With the success that we have had in the past year, I can only imagine how much more successful it would have been if I had not stopped blogging. My advice to every blogger is to keep posting regularly and auto renew your blog’s domain name, so you won’t have to go through the painful process of watching all of your work and effort disappear.
12. What type of camera do you use? I use a SONY Cybershot. It is by no means a professional photographer’s camera, but I love that it’s very light and very small with high megapixels and zoom for photo quality. It’s perfect for easy on-the-go blogging and photography.
13. What is one thing most people don’t know about you? I try to keep a bit of mystery when it comes to myself so that the content can be the focal point of Lush-Fab-Glam.com. While my readers know a lot about my interests based on the topics I cover, there is no ‘about me’ page on the blog, so you could call this my ‘coming out’ interview. I blog with my initials MJ, my first name is Marrel it means beautiful and I was named after my great grandfather’s ultimate love/soul mate. Their story could rival ‘The Notebook’.
14. Who is the one person you’d like to meet? I can think of so many impeccable women making their mark in the world that I would love to meet and learn from, but the hopeless romantic in me is screaming out ‘actor Ryan Gosling’! His film ‘The Notebook’ was surreal! That makes two The Notebook references in one interview. Can my crush for Ryan Gosling be any more apparent?
15. What is your day job? I am lucky enough to be a full time blog writer and editor, and I am so excited about the upcoming revamp of my current blog and the launch of our new blog for men: TheMansDen.com in January 2014. Fingers crossed, it’s going to be a great year.
16. If you could describe your personal style in one word or phrase, what would that be? Fabulous and classy.
17. Whose style inspires you? I love actress Zoe Saldana’s effortless style. She looks good in everything from jeans to red carpet dresses. I also love model Rosie Huntington Whiteley’s casual-chic on-the-go style.
18. What is your MUST HAVE beauty or fashion item? I never leave home without my lipstick with gloss. I wear a light application during the day to enhance my natural lip color and a heavier application if I’m meeting up with friends that evening.
19. Tell us the story about how you became an iFabbo member: I came across the iFabbo badge while browsing on a fellow blogger’s website and headed over to learn more about it, I loved what I saw and applied to join iFabbo that same day.
20. What is your favorite thing about being an iFabbo member? iFabbo is a great way to connect with other fashion and beauty bloggers, which is my niche and area of interest. I especially love that iFabbo spotlights bloggers by featuring their posts as ‘Favorites Of The Week’, Lush-Fab-Glam.com has been selected twice and I am very honored to be featured as iFabbo Blogger of the Month for January 2014. Thank you iFabbo!