Name: Miranda Mendoza
Blog: Slashed Beauty
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Facebook: Slashed Beauty
YouTube: Slashed Beauty
- What is your blog about? Slashed Beauty highlights affordable beauty products, makeup products & looks. I also try to cover sales and how to get high end products discounted! I’ve started to expand my blog to explore society’s perception and standards of beauty, something that has interested me since high school.
- When did you start blogging? I started Slashed Beauty in May of 2012. Originally I focused on creating YouTube videos, with a supplemental Tumblr blog for articles. However now I’ve reversed the focus, and had a “blogging rebirth” in August 2013, when I started blogging every single day.
- What do you like about blogging? I love sharing my opinions on makeup and beauty products, and also networking with other makeup lovers around the world. I’ve made some great professional and personal connections through my blog, and I think that’s wonderful.
- Why did you decide to start a blog? I have always been obsessed with makeup, ever since I was allowed to wear it. My friends would constantly come to me with questions and I finally started saying “You know what, I’m just going to make a video so you all can watch how I do makeup.” And so started my blog and channel!
- How did you choose your blog’s title? I wanted to choose a title that didn’t scream “cheap” but alluded to the fact that I was a budget beauty blog. Slashed Beauty is all about getting great products at low, or “slashed”, prices. Now that I’m expanding to cover society’s standard of beauty, I’m also slashing the perceptions and expectations of a standard beauty blog!
- Which blogging platform do you use? Why? I use WordPress. My mom is also an internet entrepreneur and introduced me to WordPress years ago when I offered to help her with some blogging projects. Since I was familiar with it and my mom could offer a lot of insight on how to use it, blogging on WordPress was a no-brainer for me. I’m so glad I started out with it, since many people are making the switch.
- What is the biggest challenge when it comes to blogging? I think one of the biggest challenges is to stand out among the sea of well-established blogs. Even with my niche of budget friendly beauty, I felt like I was getting lost in the blogosphere! That’s why I decided to add opinion pieces about body-positive topics and standards of beauty, something I don’t see a lot on many beauty blogs.
- Do you monetize your blog? I use Google Adsense to monetize both my blog and my YouTube channel. I’ve just added the option to buy sidebar space, as well. I want to look into joining ad networks in the near future.
- What are you biggest blogging achievements? Becoming iFabbo’s Blogger of the Month! I was also very proud to have a beauty article of mine published in my university’s award-winning newspaper. Recently, I was listed as a source on the very popular art & culture blog, Laughing Squid.
- What is the worst blogging mistake you ever made? The worst mistake I ever made was not interacting with other beauty bloggers sooner! I had joined a beauty blogging network called the Beauty Blog Coalition (comprised of many iFabbo members), but always lurked around, never really talking to the other women. Finally I started opening up and establishing connections and friendships, and realized that networking with other bloggers is a great way to get your blog out there. Also I never put a lot of emphasis on social networking when I first started, and am now playing catch-up. Luckily with the help of my blogger friends I am increasing my likes, fans, +1s, and traffic!
- What are your favorite blogs? Rachel Whitehurst has been my favorite beauty guru on YouTube for years. She’s very blunt when it comes to her reviews, but she’s really the biggest sweetheart. I was really lucky to get the opportunity to do a collaboration video with her back in February. I am absolutely obsessed with Allura Beauty. She takes a very informative and non-biased approach to her reviews, which I really appreciate. Glitz Glam Budget is another one of my favorite budget beauty blogs. Silvana is also a fellow member of the Beauty Blog Coalition, so we are always repinning and +1-ing each other! Lastly, I really love reading all of the articles on The Beauty Gypsy. Anubha has a lot of beauty editing experience and writes about beauty tips & tricks you’d never think of!
- What type of camera do you use? I use the Canon PowerShot SX260 HS. It’s small enough to carry around with you in your purse, but packs all the punch of a DSLR camera. I probably don’t even use it to it’s full extent, but it’s worked wonders for producing high quality, crisp photos as well as 1080p HD videos for YouTube!
- What is one thing most people don’t know about you? I slept with my baby blanket until I was 18! No shame!
- Who is the one person you’d like to meet? Rachel Whitehurst, to be honest! I’ve looked up to her as a beauty guru for years and watched her videos throughout my teen years and now throughout my twenties. I always enjoy talking to her on social media but would love to meet her in person.
- What is your day job? I work at a mobile technology company, and we develop iPhone and Android apps for dentists! I do a little bit of everything, including client communications, marketing, social media, and sales.
- If you could describe your personal style in one word or phrase, what would that be? Timeless. Although I like to stay on top of the trends, I think a lot of what I wear is classic. A dark pair of jeans, boots, and chunky sweater is my go-to for this winter.
- Whose style inspires you? I’m more inspired by my peers than what I see on celebrities or public figures. I always compliment classmates on their ensembles and ask about where they got a certain fashion piece.
- What is your MUST HAVE beauty or fashion item? Mascara! Even on my laziest of mornings, I have to wear mascara. It makes me feel and look more awake and polished!
- Tell us the story about how you became an iFabbo member: As I said, I am a member of the Beauty Blog Coalition, where many of the members are also iFabbo members. I would hear people talking about iFabbo, and decided to check it out for myself. I’m so glad that I did, because the team has been nothing but helpful, supportive, and extremely sweet to me! (You guys rock, iFabbo!)
- What is your favorite thing about being an iFabbo member? My favorite part has been all the insight I’ve been getting on running a successful blog, whether it is tips from the iFabbo blog or the speakers at the iFabbo SF Con. I believe it’s opening me up to so much important information and networking. The iFabbo staff is helpful and sweet.